Get the tutorial for this super simple and easy DIY Valentine’s Day garland using felt and your sewing machine!
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links, for our full disclosure click HERE.
Oh man, its LOVE month! I don’t go all out for Valentine’s Day, but I do love a cute heart something here and there.
If you’ve been looking for a simple and sweet garland to make and hang around your house, then look no further!
This DIY Valentines Day garland made out of felt hearts is SO easy to make and totally customizable. You can use whatever color felt you like, change up the size of the hearts (use a variety of sizes) overlap them as you sew or add a little space between.
It’s cute, simple, and easy! The perfect DIY Valentines Day decoration for your home.
Our kiddos are homeschooled, so I especially love trying to make the holidays special for them in small ways with crafts and yummy food (pink milk is on the to-do list this month!) I loooved all of the fun activities, crafts, and celebrations at my school growing up, and I don’t want them to miss out on that.
The kids helped me with this garland (meaning they cut out scraps while I cut out the hearts, ha!) Then when we went to sew, they each had a color of hearts to hand me while I followed the pattern.
This garland is super simple and easy to make, and only took an hour off and on during naptime.
It was so fun and added the cutest pop of color to our chalkboard in our dining room. I think this is all I’m doing for Valentine’s decor this year. I might add some fresh flowers in pink and red colors and then just bake ALL the heart shaped goodies for the rest of the month!
Do you LOVE all things handmade and old-fashioned?! If so I want to invite you to join my email list so you can be notified when the next DIY project is posted 😊 click HERE to join!
- felt (THIS is the package I had here, but there are a bunch of options on Amazon!)
- sewing machine
- heart cookie cutter (optional)
What kind of felt is best for a garland?
I have had THESE felt sheets from Amazon for a long time and I was so excited for the chance to use them.
The colors are more “fallish”.. I originally got them in the fall to make a leaf garland.
Since the felt usually comes in big packages (more than you would need for this project) be sure to pick one that has colors you’d want to use for other projects, or just the reds and pinks you need.
Felt can come in sheets or rolls. I like the sheets because you only need a couple sheets for a project. If you get a pack with a variety of colors you can use those colors for other projects down the road, whereas a roll is a lot of one color!
How to Make a Felt Valentine’s Day Garland
Making a DIY Valentine’s Day garland couldn’t be more simple. Gather all of your supplies, a yummy drink, and get started!
- Start by tracing your shapes onto your felt using a pencil or pen. I used a small heart, play-doh cutter to trace, but you could free hand it or make your own stencil out of cardboard, or use a cookie cutter.
- Once you’ve traced as many hearts as you can onto your felt, start to cut them out. Try to cut over your pencil/pen marks so those don’t show up on the heart pieces.
- Decide if you want to follow a pattern and place your pieces in the correct pattern. You can use different color felt and make a pattern, or do different sizes of hearts and make a pattern.
- Use your sewing machine to sew the pieces together. Place your first heart under the needle, do a forward stitch then a backstitch, and continue to sew forward. Simply add another heart once the first one ends, and so on and so forth.
- You can leave a little bit of space between each heart (a couple stitches) or have them overlap.
- Your felt may have a “front” side and a “back side”. If so try to have all of the heart pieces facing the same direction with right sides up.
- Do a backstitch on the last piece to keep it from unraveling.
- Leave a tail of thread at the end for easier hanging
Once you’ve finished sewing your garland you can hang it by the extra thread ends, and enjoy! I draped ours across the chalkboard in our dining room. I’m excited to add a little Valentine’s Day chalkboard art soon to match my garland.
Other DIY Valentine’s Day Decoration Ideas
If this caught your eye and gave you the DIY “bug” and you want to make MORE handmade Valentine’s Day decorations, then I have a few ideas for you!
- Paint mason jars red and/or pink and put fresh flowers in them
- Make a handmade apron using Valentine’s Day themed fabric and hang it in your kitchen.
- Make homemade cloth napkins out of Valentines fabric and set your table with it.
- Sew fabric hearts (stuffed with batting) and place them around your home.
I hope you enjoyed this easy peasy tutorial and you’re able to make some cute DIY Valentine’s decorations for you and your family this year.
Holidays can be special, sweet, old-fashioned, and HANDMADE!
Happy Valentine’s Day!